Monday, February 14, 2011

My Mommy Mistake

I know that every new parent has to learn the ropes when it comes to taking care of a newborn. I am also aware that mistakes happen , and there are those forgivable "UH OH" moments, when your like OH MY F**KN god what just happened.

I was naive to think that I would not go through a moment like that, and terrified when I did.

- This morning started out like usual, I enjoyed my routine with my baby like I always do.
We were up since 6, and he had 2 bottles by 12. We played and danced around and watched some television (he loves watching tv). .

When I rocked him to sleep in my arms, I put him in his crib, so I could make some bottles for the day.
Lately he has enjoyed sleeping on stomach, so I put him on his stomach. 

I went inside into the kitchen to fix some bottles (my first mistake)
When I went inside, I noticed the front door was open, and noone was home. This scared me, so I spent about a minute walking around to make sure there wasnt a person hiding trying to kill me.. 
When the coast was clear , and I found out that my mother-in-law-to-be accidently left it unlocked and the wind blew it open  I continued to make some bottles..

I was in the house for all of about 5 minutes or so.

When I went back into the room to check on my son, I found myself in a panic and then experienced the scariest moment of my life..

- My 2 month old son had wiggled his way to the other end of the crib and was face down , panting and gasping for air.
I immediatley picked him and held him upright- He was breathing very short deep breathes, and was trying to cry. I immediatley started balling my eyes out and walking around with him.. to try and calm him down.
- He started making noise after a few seconds of being up..

It only took about a minute or so to calm him down but it felt like an hour- I cryed for an extra 2 hours considering all the possibilities of what could have happened. What if is stayed in the house longer?


I have had a moment to calm myself down. 
and I have thought through the mistakes I made and learned a lesson

NEVER EVER leave your baby unattended - especially if he or she is on their stomach... 
and never underestimate your childs abilities..

 Today was the scariest day of my life- I thought I that I almost killed or severly damaged my son - 

He is fine and okay and I experienced my first mommy mistake. 
and while it may traumatize me more than him for a while , I have learned what not do in the future...


No comments:

Post a Comment